“Travelers, there is no path. Paths are made by walking.”
--Antonio Machado

Friday, April 2, 2010

Detalles

No Ganas a intentar to understand Cuba. There is nothing to gain in this attempt because it usually leaves you nowhere. I did not think that the lyrics to Detalles sung by Roberto Carlos would be so applicable in this case but they have proven to be, but nothing makes sense—every explanation requires an explanation, and every story another.

As a traveler in Cuba I feel lifeless.
The clock is ticking but I am still. The Cuban world moves around me and I can just observe. I am a stranger looking into a Cuban snow globe shaking it every now and then to see which direction the snowflakes will settle. Although it does not snow in Cuba I will always remain as an outsider looking in.

I cannot participate
Although I try to negotiate
These factors seem to associate
With the matters which make me feel desolate

As a traveler in Cuba I miss the nonsensical things that once made sense in the United States: A peanut butter and jelly sandwich, fast food, comfort food, things that once made me smile, now are no where to be found -or they have faded into the distance-some say my smile has too…

No comments:

Post a Comment