“Travelers, there is no path. Paths are made by walking.”
--Antonio Machado

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Not being a “Rubia”, “preeeety lady”, or a “Rusita”.

Going about my daily activities without an intense stare, hiss hiss HISS, or a “que linda”.

Not feeling rude or arrogant when I do my best to ignore the compliment giver by rushing by without a simple smile or even a glance.

Not being singled out among the other passer-bys.

Putting on clothes in the morning without rating the outfit on a “How American do I look today?” scale.

Not feeling guilty for not speaking the native language.

Walking into a hotel with whomever I'm with.

Not to be forced to spend my days and nights with my new best friends.

Having price tags, with concrete, unchanging prices, so as not to be ripped-off on a daily basis.


Not having people assume I have money to spend simply because I'm foreign.

Walking into mass at the local Catholic church without people asking if I'm there to sight-see.

Not being ignored when I stand in line at a food stand full of locals.


Being anonymous, being able to blend in.

Not worrying about how I will feel once I leave this island that I've fallen in love with.


Sadly letting the memories fade as the days, months and years go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment