“Travelers, there is no path. Paths are made by walking.”
--Antonio Machado

Friday, January 15, 2010

3 days til Cuba!!!

First of all, like everyone else in our program, I can't wait to be in Cuba next week. I have always had a profound interest in the country and its people, and after taking a class with Prof. Behar my interest has only escalated. I am definitely nervous about immersing myself in the culture and working on my Spanish proficiency, but this is an awesome experience for all of us and we're all really privileged to be able to visit such a fascinating country. I would like to learn more about the history of the country, especially the Cuban Revolution and its impact and effect on contemporary Cubans. The religion of Santeria is also something we studied in class this semester, and I really want to make it out to some gatherings or ceremonies to learn more about the tradition of this religion, and of slavery and Afro Cubans.

So on another note, I've been skate boarding for the past 4-5 years and I am amazed by the skate culture down in Habana. Cubans endure extreme problems in regards to getting skateboard equipment because of the embargo, but skaters there are really passionate and dedicated to the sport and have found ways to repair old boards. I can't wait to get to the skate parks down there and talk with the skaters and interact with them and hopefully develop some good friendships. I also developed a great friendship with the skaters at Launch, a local skate shop in Michigan, and they are being really kind and generous in giving me equipment to bring to Habana. Here are some cool links about stories of skating in Cuba, and I'll try to post some videos and stories of my experiences with the local skaters.

http://www.redbullskateboarding.com/articles/2009/12/cubas-skate-revolution-video.php

http://www.skatecuba.co.uk/watch.html

Peace, Miles

1 comment: