“Travelers, there is no path. Paths are made by walking.”
--Antonio Machado

Friday, January 15, 2010

Last day in the USA!

My mom has prepared a feast for my last day in the house! Arroz blanco, habichuelas, carne mechada, y flan de coco. She knows that carne mechada is my favorite! Whenever anyone in my family does something great, or is about to leave for extended periods, or has just come back from being gone for an extended amount of time, my mom always cooks their favorite meal. This is my "you're about to leave us all to go to Cuba for 2.5 months" meal. She won't let me talk about my departure, because she says she will start crying. I don't think she knows (my brother does though) that I've already cried uncontrollably about leaving her and everyone else I love to go to a place that none of them know or have access to.

Havana, Cuba. In a couple days you will be my new home for the next few months. I am so very excited (and anxious, and nervous) to meet you! I've heard and read tons about you! I've even dreamed about you. I come from an island that at one point was a lot like you. Puerto Rico. I actually just came from there about 2 weeks ago. While I was there, I was constantly thinking of you though. Will your air smell the same? Will your food taste the same? Will your beaches be similar? Will the ambiance be as familiar to me? However, I don't want to get too caught up in comparisons. Puerto Rico has its own swag and undoubtedly you will have your own.

Tonight, I will fall asleep thinking of you in hopes of dreaming of you once more.

But right now, it's time for me to go eat my last home cooked meal.

Besos,
Carla

2 comments:

  1. Godspeed Carla. Remember to make time to learn, t play, and to pray.
    Enjoy Cuba!! Take lots of pictures PLEASE!!!!!!

    With Love,
    Papi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carlita:

    Como me has hecho llorar. I love you so much and I miss my baby!!!!
    Take care sweetie.

    Besitos,
    Mami

    ReplyDelete