“Travelers, there is no path. Paths are made by walking.”
--Antonio Machado

Saturday, January 16, 2010

So I Guess This is Leavin'

While strolling around the local movie rental store last night, I came across “The Art of Travel”. Though I had never heard of it, the title intrigued me because I'm two days away from what is sure to be my greatest travel to date. It turned out to be an inspiring movie, getting me psyched to dive head first into the Cuban culture and let nothing hold me back.

I already expect our adventure to Cuba to be a trip of a lifetime. While the classes we are taking in Havana are our main focus of the trip, I believe that they will end up being only supplemental to the real lessons we will learn. Maggie Moran sums up my feelings in her song “Leavin'” with the lyrics: “so I guess this is leavin', a backpack full of reasons of why it's time to go. I leave the comforts behind me because they will only remind me of what I already know.” I hope to leave my assumptions behind and be open to everything Cuba has to offer. I expect to be blown away with what I see, hear, taste, and with whom I meet. I am so excited to be a part of a culture that most Americans are not permitted to be. My biggest hope is to return home having made great friends, seeing incredible places, and with memories that are worth sharing, but only the people that were there will truly appreciate.

Love~

2 comments: