“Travelers, there is no path. Paths are made by walking.”
--Antonio Machado

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Hasta luego USA

Havana, Cuba.
In less than 24 hours I will finally meet the city that will become my new home. Currently, I am sitting in the lobby of a hotel in Toronto anxiously awaiting the arrival of the rest of our group, anxiously awaiting Monday morning and anxiously awaiting the plane ride that will bring us to the place that I have been dreaming of for the past few months and yet have only a vague idea of what to expect. I've moved into two small suitcases, said goodbyes to friends and family and a left a city the city that I know and love and am ready to plant my feet into unfarmiliar territory.

Our first book for professor Behar's class says that Cuba is a city of the imagination and right now that is about all I can do. I imagine beautiful beaches, vibrant neighborhoods, intoxicating music and people that I will grow to love. I have images etched into my brain from pictures and from readings but right now, these are nothing more than outlines which I know will be defined, expanded and illuminated throughout the next couple of months. I expect that Cuba will stretch any limits of my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment